The War Guilt Clause
- "Perhaps the single greatest cause of World War II was born out of the Peace Treaty that ended World War I: the War guilt Clause."
- Germans solely responsible for starting the war
- They hated the guilt clause most of all
- "The War Guilt Clause was an article in the Versailles Treaty which was designed to provide the legal basis for preparations"- http://www.ask.com/question/what-was-the-war-guilt-clause
- Also called artice 231
- The article, in which Germany accepted the responsibility for the damages they had caused by World War I, served as a legal basis for the following articles, which obliged Germany to pay reparations.
- Had to accept every 'punishment' including paying reparations, most of which would go to France and Belgium
Summary: The War Guilt Clause declared that Germany was fully responsible of WWI, therefore must pay reparations. Germany was not pleased with the War Guilt Clause because they had to except every punishment given.