Buffer Zones and Satellite States
- Friendly states that separate hostile nations
- North Korea between China and Russia
- Eastern Bloc countries between Russia and West Europe
- Satellite states for Russia include Poland, Hungary, Romania etc
The Division of Germany and Berlin
- Potsdam conference had decided the division of Germany
- Divided into 4 occupation zones under control of Allied Control Council
- 1947 US and GB join their zones. (France joins in 1948 to form West Germany (est. 1949) (Federal republic of germnay led by konrad adenhaur)
- Stalin forms East Germany with his zone the same year (German Democratic Republic-GDR)
Summary: The main objective of the satellite states and buffer zones were to separate hostile states.
Quote: "Death solves all problems - no man, no problem."
- Joseph Stalin
Subjunctive question: What would have happened if there were no buffer zones?