The Berlin Blockade/ Airlift 1948
- Began with currency reforms in West Germany
- Russians block the transportation routes into Berlin
- Allies had to decide to give up Berlin or make other plans
- War was an option
The Berlin Airlift, 1948
- Instead the US decided on a massive airlift to supply the western half of the city
- One aircraft lands every two minutes for fifteen months
- It became a public relations victory and a show of US industrial might
- Example of the Truman Doctrine
- One cause for the formation of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO)
Quote: "I think that NATO is itself a war criminal."
Subjunctive question: Would NATO been formed if the Berlin Airlift had not happened?