The Suez Crisis
- In 1955 Egypt and Russia align with eachother
- 1956 Egypt begins to get arms form czechoslovakia
- Gamal Nasser begins to threaten Israel
- USA reacts by pulling out of the Aswan Dam project in Egypt
- Nasser nationalizes the Suez Canal
- The Israelis attack first under their policies
- They had a secret deal that the FR and BR would join in once this happened
- This angered the Americans and they threaten to cut off the oil if they did not back out
Suez crisis cont
- The crisis is resolved by introduction of UN Peacekeeping force (Lester B. Pearsons idea)
- Israels economy flourished under the secure conditions
- Changes the influence of power in the region from British and French to Russian and American.
Quote: "The purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in defense. The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental."
- John Steinbeck
The Suez crisis caused much conflict when Nassar nationalize the canal. The Israeli's where not happy and therefore decided to attack them. The Crisis was eventually resolved by Lester B Pearson. This made Israels economy flourishes under the secure conditions
Question: What would have happened if America didn't interfere?