- Germans want the oil fields of the Caucasus region
- began sept 1 1942
- germans capture much of the city in street to street fighting
- Nov. 23 1942 Germans get trapped in the city
- German Commander Von Paulus ordered to fight to the death
- Between Jan 31 and Feb 2, 300 000 German troops surrender
- the Major turning point on the eastern from of WWII
- Largest battle in human history (2 million casualties)
Street to street fighting.
How would this have been different if the German troops had not surrendered? Would they have ended up winning?
Summary: As Germany pushed further into Russia, their goal was to capture Stalingrad. The battle of Stalingrad consisted laregely of street to street fighting and ended in Russias favour resulting in 2 million casualties.