- 40th U.S. President
- A former Hollywood actor
- Elected for a second term in 1984
- Saw the USSR as the "evil empire" and wouldn't negotiate with them for the first years of his presidency
- Was much more hardline than the detente presidents
- Increased military spending dramatically as part of the renewed arms race with the USSR
The 1980's Arms Race
- The USSR had a 3:2 advantage in sheer numbers
- New issue is how to deliver them
- Cruise missiles are palced in Europe by NATO
- 'Smart Weapons'- planes, weapons and even tanks begin to be controlled by computer are are 'guided'
Summary: Ronald Reagan was elected as the 40th President of the United States after previously being a Hollywood actor. Reagan was much tougher than the Dente presidents and as a result, increased military spending dramatically.
Quote: "Freedom prospers when religion is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged."
Had Ronald Reagan not been the US president at this time would the Cold war have ended completely different?