Chiang Kai-Shek and the Kuomintang
- Led the Koumintang
- Had trouble getting foreign aid because they were socialist (except USSR)
- Wanted to establish a socialist democracy
- Country was dominated by warlords
Chaing Kai- Shek
- Became leader of the Koumintang in 1925 after Sun Yat Sen died
- Communist, Mao Zedong was the leader of propaganda
- Soon controlled all of China south of the Yangste River
- Rid his party of communists, killed many while others like Mao fled to remote parts of China
Quote: "If the idea of revolution is to win out, it must be through political enlightenment. It is useless to try to impose it by force of arms."
- Sun Yat Sen
Subjunctive question: What would have happened if Chiang was not able to rid of the communists?
Summary: Sun Yat Sen was leader of the Kuomintang who wanted to create a socialist-democratic government, but most of China was run by warlords. Chiang took over and rid the Kuomintang of any communists. Mao was amongst them and fled to remote parts of the country.