- Stands for "red beard". code name German attack on Russia June 1941
- Complete surprise for Russia despite warnings
- Germany Breaks non-aggression pact
- Blitzkreig tactics surprise Red Army
- Stalin did not believe that Germany was going to attack them so he did not get his army prepared for attack
- Russian peasants began scorched earth policy (burning all crops and shelters)
- Leningrad was besieged, captured Kiev, reached the Crimea and on the outskirts of Moscow
- Cold winter weather halts Germany
- Almost 2 million Red Army troops taken prisioner
"The battlefront disappeared, and with it the illusion that there had ever been a battlefront. For this was no war of occupation, but a war of quick penetration and obliteration - Blitzkrieg, Lightning War." - September 25th, 1939
If Germany hadn't broke the non aggression pact would Russia and Germany stayed at peace?
Summary: The germans broke non aggression pact against Russia in 1941. Stalin did not want to believe that they were going to attack so never prepared his army. However, the Russians fought them off using the scorched earth policy and from the factor of weather.