French and English Mandates
The Breakup of the Ottoman Empire: French and English Mandates
- "The sick man of europe" Ottoman empire breaks up and becomes turkey
- French and British divide up the former Ottoman territories into mandates
- Suez Canal and oil are they reason for their interest
- Sykes-picot agreement, 1916, gave most the territory to Britain
- Iraq, Trans jordan and Palestine to Br. .
- Syria and Lebanon to french
- They set up Arab governments in all mandates except Palestine
Quote: The Ottoman Empire has the body of a sick old man, who tried to appear healthy, although his end was near.
- Sir Thomas Roe
Summary: The ottoman empire end up becoming turkey. The French and British decided to make mandates out of section of the old empire. The backbone to these decisions is the Suez Canal. They set up Arab governments in all mandates except Palestine.
Question: What would have happened if the ottoman territory wasn't split up?